Parag Khanapurkar : “A Never give up Cricketer with a tough cricketing mindset”
- Name: Parag Khanapurkar
- City: Mumbai
- DOB: 31.03.1986
- Attribute: Left Handed Batsman & Right Arm Leg Spinner
- Current Coach: Umesh Patwal
- Current Academy: ithink Sportz Academy
To pursue cricket in a city like Mumbai is certainly very competitive because there are thousands of cricketers grinding hard daily with the same aim of making it big. To make a mark for oneself in such an intense competitive atmosphere is indeed commendable & even playing Top Division cricket in Mumbai is no less than an achievement considering there are 7 Divisions (from top to bottom) and only the best can make it to the top division after years of hardwork and consistent performances.
One such player who has silently made an impact is left-handed batsman Parag Khanapurkar. A compact batsman who bats at the top of the order and a handy right arm leg spinner who can chip in with those crucial spells, Parag made his presence felt right from his early days representing Mumbai U17 Team in state level tournaments. Parag has also been leading the Top Division Payyade Sports Club team since 2013. Under his captaincy, Payyade SC has won many tournaments and apart from being a skipper, he has been a prolific performer for the team too. Parag made a jump last season and now plays for Parsee Gymkhana’s top division team in Mumbai Cricket.
Parag’s consistent performances at the club level helped him earn his maiden List ‘A’ Call up for Mumbai where he scored a brilliant 123 on debut vs Punjab. Parag has been a part of Mumbai One Day team for 3 seasons between 2011 to 2015 while he also made his T20 Debut for Mumbai playing Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy in 2010/2011. His ability to keep the scoreboard ticking and contribute as an all-rounder also made him a part of Rajasthan Royals Development Squad in 2010.
Parag has time and again proved on how explosive he can be in the white ball format as he scored 220 runs alongwith 9 wickets for Sobo Supersonics in Mumbai T20 (MPL) Season 2. Parag also played for Arcs Andheri in 2018 and his 36 ball 61 in that season is still fresh in the minds of many bowlers. Apart from having an extensive experience as professional cricketer in Mumbai, Parag has also proved his mettle overseas with 10 years of experience playing in UK, England. Parag represented various clubs right from the likes of Brentham CC, Bedminister CC, Brislington CC & Averybury CC. In the 2018 season playing for Averbury CC, Parag was at his all-round peak smashing 600 runs in 7 games with 25 wickets. In an overseas career spanning more than 10 years, Parag has scored more than 3000+ runs at an average of close to 47.00 along with 155 wickets in 71 games. These are the kind of stats, any team would like to have such a player in their playing XI.
A tried and tested player, a man of all seasons, Parag has performed with consistency right from his early days to his top division club level cricket to representing Mumbai in One Days and T20’s to playing overseas cricket under completely different conditions. Parag has given and passed all the rigorous tests of being a professional cricketer which makes him qualified to be called as an “experienced campaigner” of the game.
Speaking exclusively with Cricketgraph, Parag shared: “I have given my best for whichever team i have played for. In my career spanning almost 17 years as a professional cricketer, i have played for Mumbai U17, Mumbai Senior Team across all foramts, i have played 10 years in UK, i have played with consistency at top division level in Mumbai Cricket for more than a decade, you can check all my statistics. I am also working hard on my game, on my fitness under the guidance of Umesh Patwal sir at ithink Sports Academy. Yes i am not giving up and working hard to play at Domestic Level. I am open for any first class opportunities for any teams which needs an experienced player and a team which backs me up and keeps faith in me, i am sure i will not let them down”
Here’s wishing Parag all the luck for a great future ahead.
Highlights of Parag’s Career & Top Performances:
- Played for Mumbai U17 Team in 2009/10
- Part of Mumbai One Day Team for 2 Seasons
- Part of Mumbai Ranji Team for 2 games vs UP & Punjab in 2011/12
- 123 on Debut vs Punjab in Vijay Hazare Trophy’ 2010
- Part of IPL Rajasthan Royals Development Squad 2010
- 220 runs & 9 wickets for Sobo Supersonics in MPL Season 2 (T20 Mumbai)
- 61 off 36 balls for Arcs Andheri in T20 Mumbai’18
- Best Batsman Times Shield B Div 2011 (487 runs in 5 games)
- Represented Mumbai University Team in 2006/07
- Best Batsman in Times Shield’2010
- 500 runs & 30 wickets in Times Shield B Div 2012
- 400 runs and 12 wickets in 5 matches in Police Shield’17
- Best Batsman Award in Police Shield’17 with a knock of 170 in the finals
- 390 runs and 7 wickets in Police Shield’18 (A Division)
- Scored 900 runs in Mumbai A Div Club Cricket for the Calendar Year 2019
- 1000+ runs with 25 wickets in 20 matches for Mumbai Customs in DY Patil Tournament (from 2010 till date)
- Captain of Top Division Payyade Cricket Club since 2013
Mumbai Cricket Statistics (From 2010: Across all levels and formats)
- 50’s: 39
- 100’s- 19
- Double Hundreds: 2
- Highest Score: 201*in Times Shield B Division Quarter Finals
- Fifers: 12
- Best Bowling Figures: 6/42 vs Income Tax (Times Shield B Div)
Overseas U.K Stats (from 2009-2019)
- Matches: 71
- Innings: 66
- Runs: 3076
- Average: 46.60
- 50’s: 21
- 100’s: 7
- Highest: 145*
- Wickets: 155
- Best Bowling Figures: 7/35